Monday 3 May 2010

On The Town - Stanley Donen


The first musical on the list and one I was not familiar with. I am a big fan of musicals so it was nice to watch something as enjoyable as On The Town. The three sailors and their quest for girls had me in stitches. It was pretty witty to be honest and the hour and a half just flew by.

I couldn't give you a favourite character as every single one was hilarious. Frank Sinatra knows exactly how to act and be funny, while Gene Kelly was exceptional as a sailor who found and lost his love in the space of 20 minutes. This love of his, played by Vera-Ellen was stunning. One of the prettiest girls I have seen from the 40's and a very good dancer as well. The scene called Miss Turnstile Ballet was genius and could be done by a group like Diversity from Britain's Got Talent. It was mesmerisingly brilliant.

The only downside for me was the songs, I felt New York, New York was pretty catchy but the rest did not feel like real showstoppers. They were just that little bit too bland to be catchy. They were sung very well they just were not very good.

Overall I enjoyed this film and from me it gets a 7 out of 10. The next film to be reviewed is going to be number one from the worst movies ever, Catwoman. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment