Friday 26 March 2010

La Pianiste (The Piano Teacher) - Michael Haneke


As predicted, today I started the mammoth task of watching all of the 1068 movies that have appeared in all versions of "1001 Movies To Watch Before You Die" and my first movie has shown me what diversity this list is going to provide. I would never of guessed that the first movie that would be selected was about a sadomasochist piano teacher.

I apologise now, but these 'blogs' are going to be fairly short, but I will try and pack them with my thoughts and feelings about the movie.

Firstly I applaud Michael Haneke for such a stunning movie, but the major applause has to go to Isabelle Huppert who plays the sexually repressed Professor Kohut. She was fantastic, even in the scenes where she was doing unusual things, such as watching a couple have sex in a car while urinating next to said car.

The musical that the pianists played was very well picked and well played, and seemed to capture the longing and repression of the main character. Also I would like to say that Annie Girardot, playing Professor Kohut's paranoid and abusive mother.

Personally, I felt some of the scenes went on a little too long, for instance the 'rape' (was it rape? one of the many questions this film throws up), and also the vagina cutting scene (which reminded me slightly of the Lars Von Trier movie, Antichrist)

A cliche of these sort of blogs is a score, but I am afraid I will have to conform with this cliche. Due to the marvellous acting and the brilliant score I will have to give this movie a 6 out of 10.

Probably not something I shall watch again, but I am glad I was able to watch such an interesting movie.

The next movie in the list, is What Time Is It There? a Taiwanese film which should prove a stark contrast to La Pianiste.

No comments:

Post a Comment