Wednesday 31 March 2010

De Vierde Man (The Fourth Man) - Paul Vehoeven


Wow, just wow! This film was a fantastic piece of art and a gripping story about love, death, passion and lying. Jeroen Krabbe was brilliant as Gerard, an author who goes to give a lecture and meets Christine, played by Renee Soutendijk. The first 'femme fatale' that I have encountered during this movie marathon, she will take some beating.

I seemed to enjoy everything about it, the dialogue translation was clear, the characters were engaging and the storyline was puzzling but at the same time moved at a pace which kept me hooked for the relatively short 99 minutes.

As a man, I will admit that the scene in which Christine cut off Gerard's penis did make me flinch, but other than that the film worked very well. It has also sprung up one of my favourite quotes from the movies I have watched thus far, and that is "I lie the truth" and I like the way that works. At the end of the film, nobody believes Gerard as he is an author, so they expect him to exaggerate the truth, and this ultimately is his downfall and his 'death'

One thing has has struck me in the amount of sex that is in foreign films, this may just be a coincidence but the films I have watched, especially the European ones, seem to have a basis around sex. I shall keep an eye on this idea.

This is my favourite film I have watched so far, and it gets a 8 out of 10. The next film in my list is an epic, Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers. I have seen this film before and I am excited to be viewing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment