Sunday 28 March 2010

What Time Is It There? - Tsai Ming-Liang


I have been looking forward to this movie since watching the shocking Piano Teacher, as I thought it would make a stunning difference. The only thing this movie has taught me is that I am not going to enjoy every single movie in the list.

This sounds harsh, let me explain a few things. There is a lot I like about the movie, I think the acting is brilliant, the story is well put together, and the main characters are likeable and believable. My problems, however, is to do with the way the film as actually shot. Long lingering shots, normally set back a few paces from the action, and if the character leaves the shot, then we are still focused on a suitcase, or a big wheel. It just seems like a one hour film has been stretched to over one hour forty.

Ok the long shots are often beautiful and do add a feeling of loneliness and grief to the situation, but they do not seem to have a point in my opinion. However, as I said before, the way the story is tackled is very clever, with one man's grief for his fathers death being portrayed through this fixation with setting every clock he meets with Paris time, and the female leads part of showing loneliness in a foreign country almost had me in tears, as sometimes it is easy to feel lonely in your own country. Also I enjoyed the portrayal of the mother's grief manifesting itself in completely different ways.

Most disturbing scene had to be in a montage of scenes to connote passion, where the mother seemed to be pleasuring herself with a wicker basket.

Overall I would give this film a 3 out of 10. I enjoyed part of it, but it did not hold my attention for long enough or make me want to keep watching.

The next film on the list is The Docks of New York. This will be the first ever silent film I have watched, and I hope it will keep my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment