Saturday 3 April 2010

Forbidden Planet - Fred McLeod Wilcox


So this is the first sci-fi film I have seen that is not Star Wars and it was pretty good. Obviously it has aged and seems very cheesy, especially the dialogue and acting, but that is part of the charm.

It is weird watching Leslie Nielsen play a role in which he doesn't fall down some stairs and make jokes about female genitalia but it was a refreshing change. Its hard to comment about the movie really, as it was not brilliant but it was not awful. It was watchable, a believable storyline (for a science fiction movie) and good effects when you think of when it was made, I think it just lacked that certain something.

I did like the part in the story in which they mentioned the Id, anything which starts to actually look at Freud and the subconscious gets thumbs up from me, and I also enjoyed the character of the Cook. I know he wasn't in the film for long, but when he was he added a farcical side to the movie.

Walter Pidgeon played the best "villain who doesn't know he is the villain" for a long time, and the hammed up acting adds to the retro feel of the film. Robby the robot is so cool, he is the sort of robot I would of designed, with his mini chemical lab and different languages and dialects, absolutely love him!

So I give this film a 4 out of 10. It might seem low, but I did loose interest throughout and at the very moment I feel extremely tired, which nobody should feel at the end of a film.

The next film in the list is another French film called Delicatessen, and this is one I have been waiting to see for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment