Monday 19 April 2010

La Stanza Del Figlio - Nanni Moretti


I will admit that I took a long time to actually get round to watching this, the DVD cover didn't excite me and neither did the synopsis, but I finally watched it tonight and I was pleasantly surprised. After the initial build up of story it was a moving portrayal of a family's grief following the death of their son, and how exactly the family members cope with the loss.

Director and main actor, Nanni Moretti, is brilliant as psychologist Giovanni who seems to be able to get into everyone elses head but his own. After the loss of the son, Giovanni starts to imagine how he could of stopped the death and starts to actually treat some of his patients badly he blames them for the death. One thing that striked me is that the film wasn't a spectacular feast for the eyes, there were no brilliant shots of scenery, or massive special effects, or even contrived storyline. It was very realistic, so realistic that I felt upset when the son died.

The scene in which the sons is seen boarding the boat, just before his death, was amazingly filmed, and the young actress who played the daughter was phenomenal. The mother, Laura Morante was a delight (but I didn't enjoy her crying, it sounded like a laugh more than anything)

This films gets a 4 out of 10 as it was watchable but I didn't feel it made the connection that some other films have.

Just a little note, I have decided to expand the list of films to include any different additions from the Empire Top 500 Movies, which then takes the total number of movies IO shall watch to 1261!

No comments:

Post a Comment