Monday 19 April 2010

Skammen - Ingmar Bergman


This is the first Bergman film I have ever seen and only the second Swedish film I have ever seen and if I am honest I don't know how I feel about it. Parts of the film I found interesting, the acting was superb and the story was interesting, but then parts I just did not enjoy, I felt parts were contrived and the characters seemed to change their minds very easily without any warning.

I think it looked good, the black and white was really interesting and made the story seem older than it was. Especially when they were driving a car and listening to a radio. I felt this device made it harder to connect the pictures with what was actually going on. Also I am not learned in Swedish history so could not place the way that was being thought.

Liv Ullmann, who played Eva, is a very beautiful woman and reminds me of a previous flame, which was nice as I felt I cared for this character, even if she did show signs of poor judgement and a nasty streak when it came to her husband. Also I felt her want of a child was heartbreaking, and even when she found a substitute for a child in the young soldier, it was brutally snatched away from her by the one man she wanted children with.

All in all this film has left me not knowing if I was satisfied watching it or not, and for that reason, it gets a 5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment