Tuesday 27 April 2010

The Great Escape - John Sturges


I have seen many things about this movie, read many reviews, seen it appear on countless lists of the best movies ever, even seen it advertised numerous times on Christmas TV but I have never really fancied watching it. I was missing one of the greatest films ever made, it is gripping, funny, well acted and has Nazi's in it. What else can you ask for!

Firstly the story is amazing, and to think it is based upon a real story is amazing. I felt for every single character and it was nice to see such famous faces as James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Richard Attenborough, James Garner and of course, Steve McQueen. I would have to say my favourite was James Garner, I felt he was funny, charming and just a little bit cocky in his role as a scavenger for the group.

Richard Attenborough was marvellous and I actually felt sad when he was shot at the end. (Although if there ever was a remake, I think the Richard Attenborough role should go to Eddie Izzard) The plan was an ingenious one, the only problem was the Germans. Now I don't like to criticise but to me the Nazi's seemed too nice, they dealt with the escape-crazy gang with a sort of pomp which made them less threatening.

No talk of The Great Escape would be complete without a massive hand to Elmer Bernstein who came up with one of the most iconic film scores in history! I will be humming the tune for days to come. All in all a fantastic movie, and I think this is going to be a 10 out of 10. The movie went by so quickly that I it was an hour shorter than it actually was. Storytelling at its very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment